The Ageing Mosaic – Supporting My Cultural Diversity
Currently 1 in 3 people receiving aged care services were born overseas.
Older people from diverse backgrounds and life experiences should feel respected, supported and treated with dignity that maintains their identity as an individual. By empowering older people from diverse life experiences, they can confidently have the information to optimise aged care services and supports to exercise choice and control.
Our panel of experts explore the importance of supporting cultural diversity in ageing and identify culturally inclusive aged care services and supports.
This webinar covers:
- What aged care advocacy is and how it can support people from diverse life experiences.
- Explore barriers and unique challenges for people from diverse life experiences in accessing aged care services.
- Empowering older people from diverse life experiences to better exercise their rights.
- Raise awareness of needs for older people from diverse life experiences.
- Identify culturally inclusive aged care and support services.
Meet the panel:
- Tonina Gucciardo-Masci, Ageing Well Lead, Ethnic Communities’ Council of Victoria
- Carolyn Sjaarda-Richards, Multicultural Advocate, Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia (ADA Australia)
- Bijinder Duggal, Director, Aasha Foundation
- Mona Orszulak, Member, OPAN Older Persons Reference Group
- Hosted by Kyle Olsen
Your feedback is important to us, so please take this short survey so we improve our future webinars and ensure they are relevant to you.
If you’re looking for more information about the resources shared by OPAN, our panel and people tuning into the webinar, please see the details below.
- Aged Care Quality Standards
- Charter of Aged Care Rights booklet in various languages
- My Aged Care information in 22 languages
- My Aged Care information accessible for all
- For translating and interpreting services, call 131 450 and ask for 1800 200 422
- My Aged Care Find a Provider tool
- Stay Connected and Supported in your Community – for more information about community supports, including the Community Visitors Scheme. 1800 001 321
- Inclusive Service Standards Portal – Centre for Cultural Diversity in Ageing
- Elder Abuse prevention and Elder Abuse Bicultural Community Education Training – ECCV
- Communication Cards – Centre for Cultural Diversity in Ageing
- Aged Care Practice Guides – Centre for Cultural Diversity in Ageing
- Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia
- Ethnic Communities’ Council of Victoria
- Find your local state ethnic community council
- Aasha Foundation – connect with Aasha on Facebook to join their local and online activities